Tuesday, June 26, 2012

If Patience is a virtue, then so is Motherhood

"No strollers allowed." Really, National Aquarium in Baltimore? I can't stroll this 20 lb (roughly...) baby around the largest aquarium on the east coast?  I have to wait in line for 15 minutes to get a ticket only to have an entry time that's in an hour and half? It's okay family of 12, you just take your time in front of the shark cage; my hyperactive 3-year-old excels at waiting his turn.



At least it was a beautiful day!

When I was a junior shepherd in 5th grade for the little kids' Sunday School, my senior shepherd made me an end of the year thank you gift--a tiny beaded bracelet that spelled P-A-T-I-E-N-T. I have literally (this is my first appropriate use of the word "literally" in years) been branded with the mark of patience since I was 10. So, when the dad told Thomas "Daddy doesn't really do lines," as he eyed the crowd in front of the aquarium, I scoffed to myself. It's just a line, get off your high-horse and wait a few minutes. Really, I was on my high-horse thinking I was so amazing at be patient. I found out later that it's a little harder than you might think.

So the parents were off to their wedding with Harper and Thomas; once again, just me and the baby hanging out. I had to kill time at the pool with Watson, and for how much he likes bathtime, the pool is not really his deal. He much prefers to crawl around on the hot concrete and open and shut gates 'til he can open and shut no more. I was getting antsy--it was definitely past his bedtime I still had quite some time before I had pick up Thomas from the wedding and take them to the hotel for bed. I showed up at 7:15 precisely, with two grilled cheeses with fruit from the pool grille (one for Thomas and Harper), picked Thomas up, headed back to put the boys to bed. 


Moving their cribs into my room, complete with respective sound machines, night-nights and lovies, sippy cups, and jammies was no easy task. Finally they were settled in bed. That's when it happened...the stench came wafting up like a mushroom cloud. The baby pooped, so I took him into the other room to change him. I promptly bring him back and Thomas so kindly informs me that he, too, had pooped in his diaper. My patience was paper-thin. After changing him, they both whined for an hour. I was BEYOND livid, attempting to drown their cries with Netflix. 

I was awakened at a ripe 6:15 am. For the next two hours I attempted to entertain them and feed them, simultaneously awakening the entire fourth floor of the Hampton Inn and garnering the stares of countless confused hotel patrons. Somewhere between banging on random hotel room doors and crying for a waffle my patience left me like a deadbeat dad. 

Just goes to show you, the second you think you've got one area of your heart clean, tidy, and tucked away, the Lord can unpack it quicker than you ever thought possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment