Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Overprivileged


I step onto a zebra carpet in my Chacos and UNC t-shirt, holding the baby—my stomach drops. Ornate architecture, pristine carpets, rare pieces of modern art…no, I am not in a museum. I am in my “dad’s” brother’s house (if you can call it that) in Philadelphia. Complete with salt-water pool, four floors of garish décor, guesthouse, poolhouse,  and greenhouse (really?), this Philly mansion would’ve made the Fresh Prince think twice about heading off to Bel-Air. I think the best word to describe it would be immaculate. Instantly I felt nauseous. It was like watching one those heart-wrenching children-starving-in-Africa infomercials while eating a $50,000 sundae with gold flakes (I saw it on the travel channel once…). 

For some reason, I feel like I have said this phrase aloud several times this summer, maybe in random deep conversations or meeting new people or something, I don’t know—“Money is not important to me.” Let me preface the next paragraph with this: I have never been starving, without a home, or on welfare. I like new clothes, I am typing this on a laptop (loaner from UNC, for which I also received a grant), and I have a smartphone. But, I have received a PELL grant from the government in order to go to school, I have done work-study, and I have not had peace concerning my family’s finances. I surely hope I am not the first person to say this, but SINCE WHEN HAS MONEY SOLVED OUR PROBLEMS OR MADE US HAPPY? Seriously, have you EVER seen it work? What do you think all those rich moms gossip about? It’s the alcoholic grandfather, the sleazy secretary who sleeps with someone’s husband, the family outcast who takes a job in the Peace Corps instead of the family law firm. Money hasn't ever, doesn't, and won't ever satisfy anyone. 

But don't take my word for it....try on Patriots QB Tom Brady for size.

Matthew 19:23-24
 "Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment